Thursday, February 3, 2011

Valentine's Day

We are 3 days into february and already I'm tired of seeing Valentines day stuff.  It is the most contrived holiday in the entire calendar year.  I may just be bitter from a high school career of extremely disappointing Valentine days...Some people will know what I'm talking about here.

Although I think it is extremely important to show commitment and passion for your partner, it is just childish to assume this will be the most romantic day of the year.  Last Valentine's day a friend hosted an unValentine's day party.  It was a potluck with lots of food and friends...I even brought unValentine themed donuts from Psycho Donuts. www.psycho-donuts.com  It was definitely high on the list of enjoyable February 14ths.  We played social games like Mafia, where everyone gets a playing card, one signifies the killer, and as the rounds progress everyone must convince the other players that they are not the killer.  I strongly encourage people to take this route, instead of creating a high expectation date plan, that, trust me, could end disastrously.

 I just feel like we should use this day as a way to appreciate our friends and companions, and the love we feel for them.  After all, who is there for you when romance doesn't pan out?  It's your friends who are always there to support and I think they deserve a holiday more than the relationship you take part in 365 days a year.

As I see it, if you plan on partaking in Valentine's day activities you should read this yahoo list...its actually very insightful as to how to be subtle on such a corny day.  http://shine.yahoo.com/event/valentinesday/6-mistakes-men-make-on-valentines-day-2446085/   And if you must know, I already gave my BF his "valentine themed" present.  That's right, I do things on my own schedule.

What do you think of Valentine's day?  Tell me how you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment