Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Today I just had to roll my eyes...

Here's the background: I currently hold two part time jobs, while working at a college office on campus, my coworker (who is at least 40, but I'm not sure specifically how much over 40) started complaining to me about how hard it is to do her job.
I listened to her whine about helping 6 people at once and not being able to go to the mailroom for hours at a time, but honestly, I can't relate.

I started working at 14 as an office assistant; pulling files and helping customers is what I do.  Yes, at the start of the quarter groups of students come in for their ID sticker.  It is in no way overwhelming.  They form a line usually and when they don't they still wait in an orderly fashion to be helped.  Sometimes you must answer phones as you are giving students their stickers.  Overall, it really is not a super demanding job.  So to endure a grown woman 2-3 times my age complaining about basic office duties...I just had to roll my eyes.  This is not high stress and if she thinks it is...I honestly don't know of a job that is less stressful.  Maybe she should be a starving artist.  :-)

To be fair, my first job involved pulling files, helping people pay their accounts and bringing dogs to customers...sometimes at the same time.  So perhaps I can just deal with "normal offices" better than most.  Who knows.

As always, feel free to tell me how you see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment